Bali is an enchanting and diverse island. There are hundreds of beautiful temples, arts and crafts, surfing, cliffs, shopping, volcanoes……
You could spend a few weeks visiting sights and exploring the island. If you just have a few days and want to see the most interesting and “happening” places in the islands, have a look at our shortlist.
To experience the local culture and diverse nature we recommend you explore the following areas. Below are also our favourite places in the island, we love them for their stunning location, history and /or quality of service.
- The best time of the year to visit Bali is from May to November (dry season).
- Bring cash when you go shopping , credit card payments are charged at 3%.
- Traffic is usually an issue, specially around Denpasar and the junctions towards Nusa Dua and Seminyak , allow plenty of time to go from place to place.
Famous for its Temples, rice fields, volcanoes, arts and crafts.
- Sari Organic- 20-minute walk through rice fields, healthy fresh food in a wonderful setting.
- Mozaic- Michellin Star.
- Naughty Nuris Warung-. Don’t be put off by the look of the place..and avoid the toilets…. they make superb BBQ ribs and martinis
- Lotus café – wonderful views over lotus pond and Pura Saraswati.
- Ibu Oka – very local, a classic for Baby guling ( roasted pig)
- WARUNGS- comida local- Lee este articulo de Asia en La Maleta
SIGHTS and activities
- Take a walk around Ubud Village
- Visit to volcano Mt Batur and swim in volcanic pool at feet of volcano.
- View of the rice fields on the way to Volcano
- Green School
- John Hardy Workshop
- Bird park
- Monkey Forest
- Elephant safari
- River Rafting
- Explore the local temples
- Don Antonio Blanco Museum– Bali’s own Dali.
Famous for its wild beach, beach sunsets, restaurants, shopping, Tana lot temple.
- The Legian – great location, lovely rooms, wonderful infinity pool, literally on the beach
- The Oberoi – in the mist of the shopping and restaurants, beautiful grounds.
- Desa Seni, a village resort- Yoga retreats.
- Bali Agung Village– very cute and economic
- Metis – elegant French, beautiful décor over rice fields, fine dining.
- Sardine – fish, beautiful bamboo structure over rice fields, fine dining.
- Sarong – Asian, great décor and ambiance.
- La Luciola – great italian food fantastic beach location.
- Cafe Bali – Morroco meets Bali- Great food and decor.
- Biku – books and antique shop great organic menu, great eclectic interiors.
- Echo Beach – great seafood BBQ by the sea, very easygoing.
- Motel Mexicola – great mexican food and decor.
- Salt Tapas – An Australian twist to traditional tapas
- Potatoe Head – great infinity pool by the sea- great cocktails.
- Ku de Ta – a classic, for sunset drinks.
- Echo Beach – wild beach and Temple- great BBQ.
- La plancha – casual beach bar, Spanish tapas and cocktails.
- Walk at sunrise and at sunset along the wild beach of Seminyak.
- Tana Lot and Pura Batu Balong Temples.
Famous for its surf, white sand beaches, cliff sunsets.
BEACH AND BEACH CLUBS
- EL Kabron – run by 3 spanish guys, superb sunset views, great cocktails and Spanish food.
- The Rock – hard to get in but worth the experience.
Famous for its white sand beaches, popular with families.
Nusa Penida Island- great diving, Mola mola fish – only 30 min by boat. Accommodation in Lembong Island.
The best boutiques are along Seminyak streets Oberoi and Laksamana.Some of our favourites are:
- Beachgold – stylish resort wear and accessories.
- Lulu Yasmine – stylish casual and resort wear and accessories.
- Lily Jean – stylish casual and resort wear and accessories
- Magali Pascal – stylish casual and resort wear and accessories
- Uma and Leopold – stylish casual and resort wear and accessories
- Feather and Find – fashion, home decor, bohemian.
- Quartzia – beautiful silk batik wear.
- Indigo Kids– children wear.
- Kidsagogo -children wear.
- Workshop 13 – chic leather bags and accessories.
- Namu – stylish casual and resort wear and accessories
- Niluh Delantik – super cool hand made shoes.
- Ebiza – small shop in Seminyak junction, super reasonable leather bags and accessories.
ART AND DECOR
There are many shops around Ubud and Seminyak areas, finding the right designs for you will depend on your taste and budget. Shopping in Bali usually means driving around, ideally hire a local driver that knows the roads well.
Some well-known shops are:
- The Orchard in Seminyak – furniture and accesories in 33 Jl Oberoi
- Hobo in Seminyak – Lovely contemporary furniture and accesories
- Rudana Museum in Ubud
- Purpa Art Gallery in Ubud
Have a look at our page with information about our tours and villas in Bali and CONTACT US if you still would like some help organising your trip to this enchanting island